The Trust provides a number of grants to support our marae operational costs and benefit the people of Tūwharetoa.
TST STEM Scholarship
“Studying science at any level, especially a postgraduate one, is a full-time commitment. The support I have received from the STEM scholarship has proven incredibly helpful” – Shaun McNeil, STEM Scholarship recipient, completing a Master of Science majoring in Chemistry.
What is the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust STEM Scholarship?
Every year the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust makes three $10,000 scholarships available for registered members. The three scholarships are open to university students in their third year and above studying in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
The Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust recognises that Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics will play an important part in the future success of Ngāti Tūwharetoa and Aotearoa. This scholarship is part of Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust’s commitment to promoting and advancing the educational aspirations of Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
When does the application period open?
The 2024 STEM Scholarship application period opens in February and runs through until the end of March.
There are three scholarships available valued at $10,000 each.
The scholarship is open to:
- registered members of the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust
- who reside in Aotearoa
- in their 3rd year or higher of Full time University study.
- Studying a Science, Technology, Mathematics or Engineering subject
- A list of qualifying STEM subjects can by found by CLICKING HERE – STEM SUBJECT APPENDIX
Education Grants and Scholarships
Tēnā tātou e te iwi,
Applications for Tūwharetoa Education Grants and Scholarships open on the 1st February 2024 and close on the 31st March 2024.
These Grants and Scholarships are funded by Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board (TMTB), Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust (TST) and Ngāti Tūwharetoa Fisheries Charitable Trust (NTFCT).
To qualify for a Grant or Scholarship you must be registered with the associated entity, therefore we encourage all Tūwharetoa descendants to register with these trusts and keep their details updated.
The Grants and Scholarships available are shown below. Also shown are the entities that you must be registered with prior to applying.
You are eligible to apply if you/your child:
- Is enrolled at an Early Childhood Education centre or Kohanga Reo
- Is a Secondary School student and enrolled in any NCEA subject
- Is attending a Tertiary Institute – University, Wānanga, Polytechnic or Apprenticeship
- Has Special Needs and is attending school or participating in vocational training
Applicants must provide:
- Confirmation of enrolment, fees and course information from the education provider.
- Previous year’s academic results.
- A verified bank deposit slip or statement.
To apply for these grants and scholarships please click below:
Have a question? Kōrero mai!
Phone: 0800 TUWHARETOA (889 427) or 07 386 8832
Education Grant queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEM Scholarship queries: email@example.com