1. Q. What is the criteria for the Whare Ora service?
A. To be eligible the applicant must be the legal homeowner & also be a registered member with the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust.
2. Can Papakāinga apply?
A. Aē, you can apply for this service if the whare is owned by a registered member of the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust and can evidence ownership.
3. Does this service provide funding or the repairs needed?
A. Kāo. This service is funded thanks to Bay Trust and is an advice and advocacy service only. Our kaiarahi will support you to complete external funding applications if you are eligible but have no say in the eligibility criteria.
Neither He Iwi Kāinga nor the Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust fund or complete the repairs identified in the report.
4. Q. Is your service for the Tūrangi, Taupō rohe only? does that mean that you don’t look at towns outside of this?
A. Aē, we will start in these locations and hope to expand into other areas as we progress.
5. Q. Does this service include education on how to maintain your home?
A. Aē, as part of our Whare Ora service we will run workshops on basic home maintenance and repair actions. If this has been identified in your report an invitation will be sent to you directly, but these are also open for registered members to learn low-cost/no-cost options to maintain your home to reduce repairs required.
Check out our He Iwi Kāinga Wānanga Event Calendar for upcoming dates.
6. Q. Can you broaden the repairs to include water tank replacements, reroofing and electrical wiring replacements for homes built pre 1950s?
A. Currently we are completing assessments for housing repairs and maintenance only. Our report covers the following areas:
- Grounds and Surrounds
- Water supply
- Gutters, Downpipes, Stormwater and Drainage
- Windows and Doors
- Hot water source
- Interior Linings
- Moisture and ventilation
- Safety and security
7. Q. Do you help those that live in and around Rotoaira and Waihī within the Tūrangi area?
A. Aē, this area is included in our catchment.
8. Q. What assistance is available to members living outside of Taupō and Tūrangi?
A. If there is high interest for this service in a particular area, we will plan to have our Building Assessor there to complete the assessments.
Alternatively, this service is offered by a number of other providers who we can connect you to in your area.
9. Q. Is this just an assessment or does it include further restructure, like do you guys actually come in and fix things?
A. Kāo, at this stage it is just an assessment. Our team can work with you to develop a plan around the repairs and maintenance identified in the assessment, provide guidance with contractors and quotes and check the quality of the mahi undertaken after the repairs are completed.
10. Q. I have heard that other whānau have had repairs done to their whare – how can I have this done for mine?
A. He Iwi Kāinga is coordinating a Repairs Project of 20 whare in our rohe that have received a Whare Ora Assessment. These repairs are fully funded by Te Puni Kōkiri and address those critical and important issues identified in the assessment. The timeframe for this project is very tight with a June 30th 2024 end date. We are guided by the criteria set out by Te Puni Kōkiri in which homes are eligible to receive the funding and focus on bringing whānau homes to a warm, dry and secure standard. All 20 homes have been confirmed with both Te Puni Kōkiri and the homeowners.