Since December 2019 Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust has completed its research and members survey that has provided valuable insight into the housing needs of Ngāti Tūwharetoa Iwi and urgent action is required to provide advice and advocacy for Affordable, Assured, Healthy and Accessible housing for all registered Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust members.
Our Vision – He Iwi Kāinga
- Homes worthy of Ngāti Tūwharetoa
- Homes for mana and whanaungatanga
- Communities where our future generations will thrive
The short term outcomes we are seeking:
- Affordable & quality homes are available (within the rohe) to members who are prepared and committed
- Home repairs, insulation & accessibility renovations are available to members who are prepared and committed
- Coaching, guidance and support are available to members to achieve individual home ownership
- To improve the health of all who reside in the rohe of Ngati Tūwharetoa
The medium term outcomes we are seeking:
- More members are in a position to renovate their homes to a warm, healthy and accessible state
- A greater number of affordable homes are available (within the rohe)
- More members are in a position to purchase or rent a high quality and affordable home
The long term outcomes we are seeking:
- More members have the resources and independence to own an open market home
- All members have the skills and support necessary to own an affordable home
- All members have the financial resources necessary to own and operate an affordable home.
The Trust introduces “He Iwi Kāinga” established as the project management office to achieve our mission of Assured, Affordable, Healthy and Accessible Housing for Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
General Manager Sean Te Heuheu and his team are ready to deliver housing solutions that contribute to the overall wellbeing of our people and our whenua – now and into the future.
Our operational team includes;
Sean Te Heuheu – General Manager – Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust
Greg Stebbing – Commercial Advisor – Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust
Melanie Henry – Interim Executive Assistant – Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust
Te Aroha Woods – Trust Accountant – Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust
Blandina Diamond – Project Manager – He Iwi Kāinga
Piki Taiaroa – Project Management Office Manager – He Iwi Kāinga
Melanie Henry – Senior Kāinga Coach – He Iwi Kāinga
Our Kāinga Kaiārahi work across three PILOT programmes:
- Advice and Advocacy
- Repair and Maintenance
- Residential Builds
ADVICE & ADVOCACY
He Iwi Kāinga Kaiārahi will provide personal advice and advocacy for you and your whanau whether you are renting, own your own home, or want to purchase your first home. Landlords are also able to enquire, receive advice and advocacy
- Advice on Kāinga renting, purchasing and lending (mortgage).
- Coaching and mentoring on budgeting, home purchasing, home maintenance, property management, being a high performing tenant.
- Advice on being a landlord or engaging with landlords.
- Advocacy for electricity prices and all other subsidies.
- Advocacy for rental subsidies.
REPAIR & MAINTENANCE
He Iwi Kāinga is taking registrations of interest for this Pilot Programme to complete assessments within the Turangi, Taupo catchment.
The assessments will provide areas of priority for repairs and maintenance for Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust members.
When you register your interest by completing an enquiry form, Kaiārahi will make contact to work with you and your whānau and come to your home and complete a full assessment for repairs including:
- Critical and Severe Repair Requirements to provide running water, waste water management and electricity.
- Weatherproofing your home
- Roof, floor and window insulation
- Providing essential access
- Solar power options
Kaiārahi will then work with you to look at solutions to complete the repair & maintenance through a comprehensive plan (see the Frequently Asked Questions)
As the Repair & maintenance Programme is in its infancy it does not include funding for repairs from Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust but Kaiārahi will refer to external providers for resourcing and assistance that may be available to you and your whānau.
Register your interest in this programme
Home Ownership is the ultimate dream. Speak to one of our Home Ownership specialists to answer all your queries and provide you with the support and guidance to achieve your ultimate dream in:
- Affordable home ownership.
- Residential developments and builds.
- Papakāinga development support
For more in-depth information and reviews please view our downloadable documents here;
Please contact us to receive a copy of the He Iwi Kāinga – Tūwharetoa Kāinga StrategyClick here to request a copy of the He Iwi Kāinga – Tūwharetoa Kāinga Strategy
Help us understand more
Take the affordable, assured, healthy & accessible housing survey that builds on the 2019 Housing Survey to provide more information to support better housing solution for our Tūwharetoa people. Complete and go in the draw to win one of five $100 petrol vouchers.Take our Survey
Our services are available Monday – Friday (8.30-4.30pm)
If you would like more information call us on (0800 TUWHARETOA (889 427), email firstname.lastname@example.org or come in to see us at our Taupo office.