Since December 2019 Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust has completed its research and gained valuable insight into the housing needs of Ngāti Tūwharetoa Iwi .
Urgent action was required to provide advice and advocacy for Affordable, Assured, Healthy and Accessible housing for all our registered Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust members.
OUR VISION – HE IWI KĀINGA
- Homes worthy of Ngāti Tūwharetoa
- Homes for mana and whanaungatanga
- Communities where our future generations will thrive
E mahi ana ā mātou Kaiārahi Kāinga i ngā kaupapa nei
Our Kaiārahi Kāinga work across these programmes:
Whare Ora is designed to help Tūwharetoa Home Owners evaluate repairs and maintenance in their home and properties to a Healthy Standard.
A free Whare Ora assessment is completed by Aaron our Technical Building Assessor.
This programme includes:
- A report of the critical and severe repair and maintenance required.
- Assessing of running water, waste water management and electricity.
- Advice on weatherproofing your home
- Access to Repairs and Maintenance tips
- Guidance with contractors and quotes
- Checking the quality of work after repairs completed
- Accessing of government resources and funding grants
Kaiārahi will make contact to work with you and your whānau and arrange an onsite visit.
As our Whare Ora Programme is in its infancy it does not include funding for repairs from Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust. (see the Frequently Asked Questions)
Sustaining Tenancies is a service offered to those in a Rental Tenancy within the Taupo/Turangi district who need support to stay homed, achieve goals and provide immediate intervention to help prevent losing their tenancy.
A one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to Tenancy because everyone’s situation is unique.
Having a stable place to call home can make it easier to get ahead and deal with other issues in your life.
Referrals for this service can be made by individuals, private landlords, agencies or community services that are working with the whānau.Enquire now for a friendly chat with one of our team
Papakāinga Development Support
Our Tūwharetoa rohe is abundant in Māori owned whenua. Whenua that is highly sought out to help whanau as a solution to the current housing crisis.
Papakāinga developments can open the gate to quality, affordable and secure housing.
Our team can help:
- provide information and advice
- support the Papakāinga development process
- Facilitate Whanau wananga to strengthen connections
- Assist with understanding Governance
- Support with TPK funding applications
- Navigate Māori Land Court processes
- Complete feasibility reports
- Guidance with council consenting
If you or your Trust need assistance enquire now.
Home Ownership is the ultimate dream and one we here at Tūwharetoa Settlement Trust feel should be achievable to all.
We offer an 8 week Sorted Kāinga Ora programme to help build financial capabilities and can support and guide you to achieve your ultimate dream in:
- Affordable home ownership.
- Residential developments and builds.
- Papakāinga development support
Registrations are currently CLOSED until 2023
ADVICE & ADVOCACY
He Iwi Kāinga Kaiārahi can provide advice and advocacy for you and your whanau in all housing situations. Landlords are also able to enquire, receive advice and advocacy.
This can include:
- Advice on Kāinga renting, purchasing and lending (mortgage).
- Coaching and mentoring on budgeting, home purchasing, home maintenance, property management, being a high performing tenant.
- Advice on being a landlord or engaging with landlords.
- Advocacy for electricity prices and all other subsidies.
- Advocacy for rental subsidies.
Beginning with Te Iwiheke we are investing in providing 13 Affordable Rental 3 bedroom homes for whanau.
We aim to guide whanau by creating a safe and enriched community, incorporate skills for home repairs and maintenance, provide financial literacy and mentorship.
These homes are designed as a stepping stone to give whanau the time and support to achieve the goal of Home Ownership.
Registrations are currently CLOSED
The short term outcomes we are seeking:
- Affordable & quality homes are available (within the rohe) to members who are prepared and committed
- Home repairs, insulation & accessibility renovations are available to members who are prepared and committed
- Coaching, guidance and support are available to members to achieve individual home ownership
- To improve the health of all who reside in the rohe of Ngati Tūwharetoa
The medium term outcomes we are seeking:
- More members are in a position to renovate their homes to a warm, healthy and accessible state
- A greater number of affordable homes are available (within the rohe)
- More members are in a position to purchase or rent a high quality and affordable home
The long term outcomes we are seeking:
- More members have the resources and independence to own an open market home
- All members have the skills and support necessary to own an affordable home
- All members have the financial resources necessary to own and operate an affordable home.
The Trust introduces “He Iwi Kāinga” established as the project management office to achieve our mission of Assured, Affordable, Healthy and Accessible Housing for Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
General Manager Sean Te Heuheu and his team are ready to deliver housing solutions that contribute to the overall wellbeing of our people and our whenua – now and into the future.
For more in-depth information and reviews please view our downloadable documents here;
Please contact us to receive a copy of the He Iwi Kāinga – Tūwharetoa Kāinga StrategyClick here to request a copy of the He Iwi Kāinga – Tūwharetoa Kāinga Strategy
Our services are available Monday – Friday (8.30-4.30pm)
For more information contact us.
Phone: (0800 TUWHARETOA (0800 889 427).
or come in to see us at
1/81 Horomātangi Street, Taupō.